Monday, August 22, 2011

A day in the life of a GFCF (Gluten Free Casein Free) Mommy

Well it's been a pretty crazy week, but today was a good day.  Felt like I got quite a bit accomplished.  I called Haugland's and set up an appointment to visit, and I'm also taking Aohdan this Thursday to fill out an enrollment application.  They will do a screen to see what grade level he tests out of and see if there is a spot for him in the school.  I am soooo excited! 
So I mentioned the other day that we were approved for the Generation Rescue Family Grant.  To qualify for the grant we are required to adhere to a strict gluten-free casein-free diet during the 90-day grant period.  For those of you who do not know what the GFCF diet is, here's a crash course.  'Gluten' is found in wheat products, and 'casein' is a protein found in dairy products.  Up to this point we were [sort of] following the GFCF diet, with the exception of raw dairy products.  To qualify for the grant we will have to be strictly casein free-no dairy at all-for the 90 day grant period.
Which leads me to tonight's blog title.
Aohdan currently has a very narrow food range.  He only wants chicken nuggets, pizza, french fries, reese's cups, and applesauce.  Oh and PB&J=)  So wanting him to still be able to enjoy his favorite foods, I've had to make-from-scratch pizza, chicken nuggets, reese's cups, and bread for PB&J's.  This has been no small feat as EVERYTHING seems to have wheat and dairy in it!  The reese's cups [for example] I had to seek out special chocolate chips that have no dairy and still taste good!  The brand?  Enjoy Life Foods makes a delicious chocolate chip that tastes JUST like the real thing.  So just to allow my son the enjoyment of the occasional reese's cup, here's the recipe:

(1) Jar Smucker's Natural Creamy Peanut Butter
1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
(1) Bag Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
1/2 Bar Bakers Wax
12 Large Cupcake Cups

Mix PB and Sugar until well blended, set aside
Melt Chocolate Chips and Wax together over a double boiler set up

Spoon 2 Tbsp melted chocolate into each paper cupcake cup
Spoon 1 Heaping Tbsp PB mixture on top
Press down until flat
Spoon 2 more Tbsp melted chocolate on top
Allow to cool and
Voila!
12 Large 'Reese's Cups'
These freeze very well:)

So this is just one example.  I want Aohdan to be able to enjoy eating out with us, and he likes to order the kids pizza and fries when he visits the local Denny's with his PaPa.  So I've learned to sneak one of his GFCF pizzas in a lunch box to the server.  The staff has been wonderful about working with us.  They throw my homemade pizza in the oven or microwave, and bring it out on a plate with fries so he still gets to enjoy eating out.  The funny thing is he knows it's my pizza, but he still enjoys it anyway.  So about twice a month (or more) I have a cooking party where I make-from-scratch chicken nuggets, pancakes, reese's cups, pizza, oh and I did I mention ice cream?  Home made ice cream is Delish!  Though I need to find a good recipe that uses coconut or almond milk...

So going GFCF is no small feat.  But it is WORTH it for my baby!  One of our nurse's who has an autistic son went GFCF over a year ago, and I remember thinking that she was a little over-the-top about it all.  But you know what, now I get it!  I don't believe the GFCF diet is a cure all, but definitely a piece of the puzzle I feel.  I am anxious and excited to begin the journey of biomedical intervention.  And I am verrrry curious to see what the lab results will say is in Aohdan's system.  I will be posting about all of it.  I believe it is an important journey to share.




 

No comments: