Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sunday Dinner...our way

I thought some of you might find it interesting to see what goes into a home-cooked meal at our house.  Although it may look like a lot of work, it's really not that bad once you get used to it.  Having a family meal after church on Sunday is a tradition at our house.  And we usually go to Bob Evans, but sometimes I like to just stay home and relax.  So today I decided to make Spaghetti with meat sauce and garlic-y bread sticks.

This is what went into making it. 

First, I picked some tomatoes from my garden.  The picture below is a combination of my tomatoes and the ones I picked up in amish country.  There is about 1/2 bushel in this picture.  They were grown in organic soil with no pesticides, etc. 

Then I boiled them, peeled them, and began the long simmering process.  All of this was completed last night.  At least the boiling and peeling.  I let them simmer on low all night and then finished letting it cook down today after church.
Next, I browned deer hamburger.  Go head, get all your "Eeewwwws!" out.  A lot of people don't like deer burger but there are a couple things to keep in mind. 
1st:  Deer is naturally hormone-free, antibiotic-free, and they only eat good greens
2nd:  It is verrry low in fat.  It would be the equivilent to buying the 96/4 lean hamburger in the store.
3rd:  And it does taste good, so get over yourself and try it!

As far as the pasta I chose, I have tried different brands and to be honest most gluten-free does not have a great texture.  And I'm a big texture person.  This is my fav brand and as you can see it is free of all the most common food allergens..AND it is delicious with a great texture!

Next for the bread sticks I used a bag of Bob's gluten-free pizza dough mix.  One pizza mix made MORE than enough bread sticks for all 5 of us!  The cool thing is, since I am doing weight watchers, I calculated out the points values and, as long as I stay away from all the cheese, 3 breadsticks were only 5 points-yippee!!  So I made 2 pans with cheese and 2 pans without cheese.  They were delish!!

This is what they looked like before they went into the oven...
And this is what the finished product (with cheese) looked like...

Needless to say we all ate and enjoyed ourselves immensely!  The cool thing about today's meal was the dent on my wallet.  Eating healthy can be expensive, but here's the breakdown on today's meal.

Tomatoes = free from my own garden
Deer burger = ummm, yeah that was free.  Kenny shot a deer on the last day of hunting season out the back door of our house!  Lol!
Breadsticks = $4.69 for (1) Bob's pizza crust mix
Cheese = $2 and it was amish country made from raw milk!
Pasta = $3.69

Grand total for a great homemade meal for 5?  a little over $10=')

Oh and the best part is we had (5) gladware containers of the sauce leftover for the freezer.  And each container is enough for one dinner.  Very cool huh?

So the last picture, check out my homemade canned goods=')  I have 20quarts of organic canned tomatoes in the basement, and I'm getting ready to can probably 40 more.  It cost me $28 for 2 heaping bushels of tomatoes from amish country, which will yield 40 quarts.  This is MORE than enough to last an entire year and can be made into homemade pasta sauce, and a slew of other great recipes.  Tomatoes are so healthy too!

Aren't they pretty?






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM!

Carmen

Anonymous said...

It WAS SO good! I thought of the 'breadsticks' at the last minute. And it was inspired by pizza hut since they make theirs out of pizza crust. So when are we doing wine and blogging...
:')