Sunday, September 4, 2011

We're pretty much casein (dairy) free.

Up until this weekend we've been strict on the gluten portion of the GFCF diet but we have still been giving Aohdan 'raw' dairy products such as raw cow/goat milk, and ice cream (sparingly) made with raw cream. We've also been using homemade butter made with raw cream.

Well, this weekend was it! All dairy is officially gone! I made a trip to whole foods and bought stuff to replace butter, milk, and ice cream.

*I replaced raw cow/goat milk with unsweetened almond milk
*I replaced the butter with earth balance vegan buttery sticks and coconut oil
*And I replaced regular dairy ice cream with coconut milk ice cream. It is delish!

So tonight for dinner he actually asked for his pizza, and then he finished his pizza and asked for his "new ice cream." His behavior today has been overall very good. He had a melt down at church today because he wanted to go to his friend Tyler's house. Since then though he has been really good. He even said "please" and "thank you" for stuff today.

So I've come to a realization that dairy is probably not good for me either.  I may not be 'allergic' persay, but since I was a kid I remember getting this mucousy feeling in my throat everytime I drank milk. And I mean everytime. I never did much care for milk growing up unless I was eating something very sweet, and it had to be ice cold. I tried a glass of Aohdan's almond milk and I LOVE IT! Another perk is that it only has 40 calories per 8oz glass. Regular milk (2%) has 110 I believe.  In reading symtoms of dairy intolerance, I pretty much have all of them.  Not that I'm jumping all the way on the band wagon, but if cutting way back on dairy (or eliminating it altogether) increases my level of health...it just makes sense right?

Have a great evening and God Bless!

Vicki

I am pretty excited about this journey, and I'm excited to get my baby back. I am excited about getting Aohdan to a point where he feels good.

No comments: